The Real You – Group Discussion Guide Week 1
- Looking back over your life, when was a time you reinvented yourself and what did that look like? Or share a time when you wanted to reinvent yourself.
- Ephesians is a letter that tries to address the question we all ask at times, “Who am I?” Is this a question you’ve ever asked yourself? What was the answer?
Read or have someone else read Ephesians 1:3-4
- Paul speaks about how we are chosen to be blessed by God. Our culture talks about being ‘blessed’ (#blessed) and it may or may not have anything to do with God. When you hear these verses, what resonates with you? What do you think being blessed by God looks like?
- Ephesians 1:5-8 talks about how we are adopted, chosen by God, faults and all, to be his child. Is this an easy or difficult idea for you? Why?
- The Holy Spirit is God inside of us helping us to know God better and know what God thinks of us. Have you ever asked the Holy Spirit to show you what God thinks of you as his child? Going forward this week, what if we asked God to reveal to us what it means to be chosen as his child?
- There may be people in this group who have difficulty believing that God would choose them because of sins in their past or the lies told them by others that they have believed.
- Does this reflect how you feel? If you feel comfortable, share with your group some of these barriers that may be distorting the truth of what God really thinks of you.
- As a group, reflect back to them God’s love and forgiveness for them. Take time to pray for each other that God’s truth and grace would be vivid and real to them as they begin this journey to a deeper understanding of God’s love.