The Real You – Group Discussion Guide Week 2
- If people could write a two sentence definition of who you are, what do you think those sentences would say? (if you like, hand out paper and pens to your group and give them a couple of minutes to write their own ‘definition’) Do you like this definition of yourself? Is this definition the same as you would have written 10 years ago? 20 years ago?
- Paul, the author of Ephesians, uses words like death and chaos to describe how life in sin apart from God can feel. When you hear this description, what resonates with you? Is there an example of this feeling from your own experience? If you feel comfortable, please share this with the group.
Read or have someone read Ezekiel 36:25-27.
- The Bible talks about who we are, not just a product of our past experiences and mistakes, but as forgiven and loved by God. So often we know this with our heads but do not always feel it with our hearts. Looking at your past and present, are there any areas in your life that you have trouble believing are covered by God’s love and forgiveness?
- Experiencing new life in Christ means to be united with him. To be united, to surrender, and to walk with him. This is how we are redefined, by being united with Christ. How would our day, our week change, if we decided to start checking in with Christ to see where we were united with him? What do you think that would look like? What might change?
- Going forward into this week, what are some ways that we can begin to be intentional about being IN Christ in our everyday? At home, at work, in our friendships, at church?
- When we think about being IN Christ, we learned about being united, surrendering, and walking with him. Take some time and think of all these three elements. Is there an area in your life where you don’t feel united with Christ? Are there things in your life that you need to surrender to him so that he can begin a new work in you? Where are you walking well with him and where are places in your life where you need to begin intentionally walking with him?Encourage one another in these areas and commit to checking in with each other next week to see how being IN Christ is going.