Sermon Discussion Time
- Have you ever been in a place where you felt you didn’t belong? Why do you think you felt that way?
Read or have someone else read Ephesians 2:14-18
- These verses contains two images, one of a wall and the other of Jesus uniting humanity, us, into one people. Ponder these images for a moment.
- Are there barriers that you have constructed between you and others? Racial, gender, financial, lifestyle?
- What do you think would change in our lives if we started to look at each other through the lens of the cross? Which of your relationships would be changed? How would you be changed?
Read or have someone else read Ephesians 2:19-22
- When you hear the truth in these verses that you aren’t an outsider, that you are part of the foundation that Jesus is building to create something that represents him to the world, what resonates inside of you? Do you believe it? Why or why not?
- Knowing that Jesus has removed all barriers to us belonging, let’s ask ourselves the question, ‘Am I choosing to belong’, or are there barriers that I’m constructing that keep me from belonging.
- Maybe it’s fear, hurt, or we’re holding back from becoming involved in the church and that’s a barrier to our belonging. If you’re comfortable, share with the group some of these barriers and ask them to pray for you as you begin to allow God to speak into these barriers.
- Going forward into this week, what are some ways that we can make choices to belong, to engage deeper in our church community? Being in a Group is a great step. Maybe the next step is church membership, a way of saying you belong here and us affirming that you belong here. If you would like to pursue church membership with Living Hope Alliance Church, contact the church office and we will get you started!
- Is there anyone in your Group who has taken the step to become a church Member? If so, please ask them to share their journey towards membership, how they came to that decision, and what it has meant to them.
- If there is no one in your group who is a member, take time to discuss what becoming a member might mean to your sense of belonging. If there are barriers to taking this step, take time to pray over those barriers and ask God to show you a way forward to a deeper sense of belonging.